Friday, February 12, 2010

Not What I Thought I was Getting

A couple years after high school, I had decided to join the U.S. Navy. I went to the recruiters office several times over the course of a month. I wanted to make sure I was getting the training I wanted. You see my Dad had retired from the Air Force after 22 years and he had a great job with the State of Alaska. I really wanted what he had in his life for myself when I was older. He had been a purchasing agent, doesn't sound like much, but it was a great income and the hours we awesome, Monday thru Friday 8-4, weekends off and the pay was very good. Especially with the retirement from the U.S. Force.
After being promised by the wonderful navy recruiters that I would be getting the exact training my Dad had received, I joined up. Now, I had been raised to stand behind your word, not to lie and the old addage, your only as good as your word.
After finishing bootcamp, I was sent to my 'A' school. The A is supposed to stand for academic. I believe this was suppposed to be a huge inside joke for the higher ups in th emilitary. The taought us how to do our laundry, how to run a store as a cashier and not a whole lot else. Luckily for me when I was stationed on the ship, they were looking for someone who could type. I didn't volunteer this information, they got it out of my high school records. Although I did not volunteer, the job was a good one with many perks, better hours, fine dining with the two senior officers of the deoartment and when in port over seas I was able to get more time off than I would have normally.
What I did learn about the Navy is that it is an acronym for Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I've never heard that acronym before but that's pretty good...

    ReplyDelete